Since February 2017, I have been working as a project manager for major reference works at Brill Academic Publisher. I manage a variety of online reference works, balancing deadlines and interacting with vendors, copyeditors, outside editorial boards, and internal acquisitions editors. I have been working to streamline and improve the XML-based workflows for these projects. I have also developed CSS- and HTML-based improvements on the reference works website with the platform team. Additionally, I am consulting on EPUB workflows for upcoming projects.
From September 2013 to the end of January 2017, I worked at F+W Media, managing the ebook workflow and developing an CMS-based XML-first workflow for the Adams Media group, which was later sold to Simon & Schuster. The CMS allowed us to leverage our content like never before, using one source for various outputs: InDesign, HTML, EPUB, and direct XML feeds for content licensing. The work at F+W allowed me to do a great deal of creative problem solving, collaborating and discussing with my colleagues, and overall making a more efficient and optimal workflow for the future.
From May 2012 to the end of 2016, I and five colleagues from Emerson College ran a science fiction/fantasy literary magazine called Strangelet. It involved us wearing a lot of different hats. At one point, I developed a new business plan for the press. While the editors handled the words, I handled the design: the print books, the ebooks, and the website.
Since 2013, I have worked a variety of freelance projects. I handled the ebook development for Litweaver for two years, creating a template for their series of young adult titles. I have created a variety of titles for Wise Ink Press, among them an enhanced children’s ebook (with music). I am currently working with Library For All, a nonprofit developing digital libraries to expand accessibility to ebooks in the developing world. Additionally, I do freelance web design and development.
- Rice and Rocks, fixed-layout children’s book
- Litweaver Library, ebook development
- Your Dream Cakes, website
I have a Master of Arts in Publishing and Writing from Emerson College and a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Florida. I have independently been studying web design and development since I started in publishing. Since so much of ebook development is HTML and CSS, it is a natural next step. Publishing exists not just in ink, but in pixels.
- GradeYouLater, single page web application
- Redivider, literary magazine
- Beowulf, book design
- Once Magazine
I am writing a fantasy novel, I like to play guitar, and I like cooking.
- Brill. Project Manager, Reference Works (since February 2017). Boston, MA.
- F+W. Senior Technical Production Specialist (Oct 2015 to January 2017), Technical Production Specialist (Dec 2014 to Oct 2015), Ebook Developer (Sep 2013 to Dec 2014). Cambridge, MA.
- Strangelet Press. Founding Partner; Art, Design, and Production Editor; and Web Designer (Since May 2012). Boston, MA.
- Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education. Production Assistant, Ebooks and Online Products (Jun 2012 to Sep 2013). Boston, MA.
- Archaeology Journal of America. Graphics and Editorial Assistant (May 2011 to Jun 2012). Boston, MA.
- Gainesville Student Business Services. Transcriptionist (Jan 2007 to Oct 2009), Quality Assurance (Oct 2009 to Dec 2009). Gainesville, FL.
Selected freelance projects
- Wise Ink. Ebook development (Aug 2016, Oct 2016).
- Litweaver. Ebook development (Aug 2014 to Nov 2015).
- Your Dream Cakes. Web design and development (Dec 2015).
- Library For All. Ebook development and consultation (since February 2016).
Internships and fellowships
- Shambhala Publications. Production (Sep 2011 to Dec 2011). Boston, MA.
- Carolyn Jenks Agency, Literary Agency. Agency Fellow (Sep 2010 to Jul 2011). Cambridge, MA.
- University Press of Florida. Editorial (Sep 2008 to Apr 2009), Design and Production (Aug 2009 to Dec 2009). Gainesville, FL.
- Redivider. Production Assistant (Dec 2010 to May 2011), Production Editor (May 2011 to Jun 2012). Boston, MA.
- Tea. Executive Designer (Aug 2008 to Apr 2010), Coeditor (Aug 2009 to Apr 2010). Gainesville, FL
- The Anole. Designer (Dec 2009 to May 2010). Gainesville, FL.
- Emerson College, Master of Arts in Publishing and Writing, 2012. Graduate Dean’s Fellowship. Bookbuilders of Boston Scholarship.
- University of Florida, Gainesville, FL. Bachelor of Arts cum laude in English, 2010.